Have you heard of liver biopsy? Why does a person need to undergo a liver biopsy? How long does a person take to recover from a liver biopsy? We will answer all these questions and suggest you consult a gastroenterologist in Jaipur that helps you to undergo liver biopsy treatment in Jaipur.
What Is Liver Biopsy?
It is a procedure where an expert removes a small piece of liver tissue. So, he can examine with the help of a microscope to find the signs and symptoms of damages or diseases. The doctors will recommend a liver biopsy if the blood tests and imaging show that there might be a problem with your liver. The percutaneous liver is the most common type of liver biopsy.
Reasons to Perform a Liver Biopsy:
- To know about the problems with the liver, we use liver biopsy.
- It helps to obtain the sample of tissue from the abnormality found by an imaging study.
- Helps to plan your treatments according to the symptoms.
- It helps to monitor the liver after transplanting liver.
When Does A Doctor Recommend A Liver Biopsy?
- If doctors think abnormal liver tests are unexplainable, they suggest a liver biopsy.
- If there is a tumor or abnormalities found in the liver in imaging tests, they suggest a liver biopsy.
- Patients have chronic hepatitis B or hepatitis C.
- Patients have alcoholic liver disease, autoimmune hepatitis, primary biliary cirrhosis, and Wilson’s disease.
What Can You Expect From Liver Biopsy?
Doctors may suggest a different liver biopsy if you can not hold during the procedure, have a tumor within blood vessels in the liver, have normal fluids in the abdomen, and have a liver infection.
During Liver Biopsy:
You can expect it at a hospital or outpatient center, and doctors will place an IV in your arm to supply proper medications. It will be relaxing the procedure. You can use the toilet before the procedure. The reason is that after that, you have to be in bed for a few hours.
How Long Does It Take To Recover From Liver Biopsy?
Doctors will take you to the recovery room, and a nurse will monitor your blood pressure, breathing, and pulses.
You have to rest for a few hours or longer and may have to feel some soreness where the needle was inserted. It may last for a week.
You have to have someone to drive back home, and you should avoid lifting more than 5 to 10 kg weight for at least a week. After a week, you can get back to your day-to-day routine. Thus, you can say that you will recover from a liver biopsy in one or two weeks if you follow all the instructions provided by the doctor.
You now have correct information about the period that a person takes to recover from a liver biopsy. If you have thought your liver might be in trouble, you can consult a gastroenterologist in Jaipur. It is the best way to undergo a liver biopsy treatment in Jaipur because you should not avoid small changes.