Hematemesis is a serious condition in which the person begins to start vomiting blood. In this condition, the contents of the stomach get mixed with the blood. It is also possible that the person will vomit blood only. It is a very serious condition in which a person suffers from internal bleeding, bleeding from the food pipe, stomach and small intestine.
The treatment depends on the hematemesis causes & symptoms. The vomited blood can appear brown, bright or dark red in colour. The colour of the vomited blood will help the doctor to identify the right cause behind it.
For instance, dark red colour indicated that the bleeding is in upper gastrointestinal part like the stomach. It shows the less brisk and steady source of bleeding.
On the other hand, bright blood shows acute bleeding from oesophagus or stomach. It can be a fast-bleeding.
The colour doesn’t show the severity of the problem but helps the doctor to identify the cause. If you vomit a large amount of blood then you should immediately consult the doctor.
There are several hematemesis causes. These cause can be even minor or major. Mostly, they are the result of any injury, illness, or medicines.
The minor conditions include:
- Ulcers in oesophagus, stomach and small intestine
- Vasal Bleeding and swallowed blood
- Chronic coughing or vomiting which causes a tear in the esophagus
- Swallowing substance like glass or any other foreign substance
The other common hematemesis causes are:
- Ulcers in stomach
- Side effects of aspirin
- Stomach inflammation
- NSAID drug effects
- Stomach Cancer
- Small Intestine Cancer
The most serious cause of vomiting blood includes:
- Cirrhosis & Portal Hypertension
- Oesophagal Cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
There can be several symptoms along with vomiting blood. These are:
- Discomfort in the abdomen part
- Pain in the abdomen
- Vomiting contents of the stomach
The more serious symptoms are:
- Blurred vision
- Rapid heartbeats
- Breathing changes
- ainting and Fatigue
- Clammy and cold skin
Firstly, the doctor will ask about the symptoms. You will let him know the time when you start vomiting and how much it lasts. You should also tell him the amount of blood (approx.) and what was its colour i.e. bright or dark red.
The doctor will also ask you about any recent illness you had or are you on medications. He will also conduct tests such as:
- Blood Tests: To check oxygen and iron levels in the blood.
- Endoscopy: It is a procedure for examining your upper GI. In this procedure, the doctor will use a thin bendable tube and move it down the throat to the stomach.
- Bowel (faeces) sample for the presence of blood
- CT Scan or X-rays.
For the treatment of Hematemesis, you need to consult a gastroenterologist. He will provide you the proper treatments depending upon the symptoms and cause. The range of treatments include:
- Medicines to reduce the amount of acid your stomach produces. This is in the case when the hematemesis is because of an ulcer in the stomach.
- Endoscopy to treat the primary reason of the disease. The doctor can also use heat to close the tear.
- Blood transfusion if you have lost a vast amount of blood.
- Angiogram to stop bleeding from the artery.
- If non-surgical methods get failed then the ultimate option left is of surgery. Surgery is employed for fixing the tear in the stomach lining or intestine.
If you are looking for the best hematemesis treatment, then you must consult Dr Shankar Dhaka at Jaipur Gastro. He is a vast experience in providing several gastro treatments with high success rates.